Major Cancer Surgery
At Advanced Urology, our team of highly trained physicians perform many surgeries to remove malignant tumors in cancer patients. We treat bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, and more. The type of major cancer surgery performed depends on the specific disease, as well as the patient’s age, overall health, and other factors.
Common Major Cancer Surgical Procedures
While you should meet with your doctor to discuss major cancer surgery options and what is the right path for you, these are several of the common surgical procedures performed.
- Diagnostic: A diagnostic surgery is a surgical biopsy performed to learn more about the cancer. Biopsies can either remove a piece of the area or the entire area. The tissue is examined to help determine the next course of action.
- Staging: Staging surgery is performed to find out the size of the tumor and if it has spread to other areas of the body.
- Tumor Removal: This is the most common type of major cancer surgery. It can prevent tumors from spreading to other parts of the body and in some cases, it can allow the patient to avoid radiation treatments or chemotherapy. Advanced Urology offers robotic surgery, which includes the following benefits: faster recovery time, less scarring, reduced bleeding, and a shorter hospital stay. The da Vinci Surgical System is a robotic surgical system that can be used for a wide variety of surgical procedures within multiple specialties.
- Debulking: In some cases, it’s not feasible to remove the entire tumor. A debulking surgery removes as much of the cancerous area as possible.
- Reconstruction: Reconstructive surgery can be an option after another major cancer surgical procedure if restoring appearance or functionality is necessary or desired by the patient.
Call Advanced Urology to Schedule a Major Cancer Surgery Consultation Today
The Advuro team is experienced, caring, and dedicated to every single one of our patients. If you are interested in learning more about how our doctors can help you with prostate cancer surgery, bladder cancer surgery, or other surgical procedures, schedule an appointment now.
We have several offices located throughout the Chicago suburbs. Call our Joliet location at 815.409.4930, our Morris location at 815.941.2990, or our New Lenox location at 815.726.3110.