What Is Pediatric Urology?
Pediatric urology is the diagnosis and treatment of congenital (i.e., present at birth) and acquired urological conditions and diseases in children. Pediatric urologists treat both boys and girls ranging from birth to young adult ages. Urological conditions include disorders of urination and reproductive organs.
What Are Common Pediatric Urology Symptoms?
Pediatric urologists treat conditions of the male reproductive tract (e.g., undescended testicle) and the male and female urinary tracts (e.g., urinary tract infection). The most common condition treated by pediatric urologists is urinary tract infection (UTI).
Find out more about urinary tract infections here.
Other pediatric urology conditions include the following symptoms:
- Abnormally located urethral opening (hypospadias)
- Backup of urine from the bladder into the ureter (vesicoureteral reflux [VUR])
- Bedwetting (nocturnal enuresis)
- Distention of the kidney in utero (antenatal hydronephrosis)
- Ureteropelvic junction obstruction (UPJ obstruction; may cause kidney damage)
What Are Common Pediatric Urology Treatments?
Treatment options vary depending on the condition. Some conditions can be treated with antibiotics, others may require surgery.
Urological diseases and conditions in children can have serious, sometimes even fatal, consequences. This is why obtaining the correct urology treatment is crucial for the well-being of your child. Conditions like a urinary tract infection are not only painful, but they can also become dangerous if left untreated. The medical professionals at Advanced Urology Associates understand this and will explore every angle of your child’s condition.
- In some cases, urological diseases can be cured via antibiotics. However, there are instances when the only effective urology treatmentis surgery.
- When children are faced with the prospect of surgery, it is important to work with our compassionate staff members over the course of the urology treatment. Our medical staff will treat your child with the utmost care on an emotional as well as physical level.
Schedule an appointment with Advanced Urology Experts
For more information, please give our pediatric urology experts at Advanced Urology Associates a call at 815.409.4930 serving near Chicago, Joliet, Frankfort, New Lenox, Morris, and Naperville, Illinois.
Please visit any of our locations in the Chicagoland area:
Advanced Urology Morris
1401 Lakewood Dr. Unit 3
Morris, IL 60450
Advanced Urology Silver Cross Location
1890 Silver Cross Blvd.
Pavilion A, Ste. 430
New Lenox, IL 60451
Advanced Urology AUA Prostate Cancer Center
1541 Riverboat Center Drive
Joliet, IL 60431