Signs and Symptoms of BPH
Easy to screen, easy to fix.
Though the prostate continues to grow during most of a man’s life, the enlargement doesn’t usually cause problems until late in life. BPH rarely causes symptoms before age 40, but more than half of men in their sixties and as many as 90 percent in their seventies and eighties have some symptoms of BPH.
Symptoms of BPH often include sleepless nights and urinary problems, and can cause loss of productivity, depression and decreased quality of life. Many of the questions a board-certified Urologist will ask a patient to help determine whether they have BPH center around
- The frequency of urinating.
- How many times they stop and start when urinating.
- How often they feel the urgency to urinate.
- How often they wake up in the night to have to urinate.
If BPH is suspected, several tests help the doctor identify the problem and decide whether surgery is needed. The tests vary from patient to patient, but the following are the most common.
- Digital Rectal Examination (DRE)
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Blood Test
- Rectal Ultrasound and Prostate Biopsy
- Urine Flow Study
Advanced Urology Associates has years of experience with BPH and can help you decide what treatment is best for you. There are many options to choose from and we’re here to help find the right one. Request an appointment with us today at any one of our locations. Simply click the link below or call us at (815) 409-4930.